Barbados has been described as ‘166 square miles of happiness’, with a claim to fame as Rihanna’s birthplace. The whole capital, Bridgetown, is a UNESCO world heritage listed site.
Cost of living isn’t the cheapest, as you can see:
- Three-course meal for two at mid-range restaurant: BBD$200 (£80.50)
- 1 litre of regular milk: BBD$7.52 (£3)
- 500g loaf of fresh white bread: BBD$5.22 (£2.10)
- One way ticket on local transport: BBD$3.50 (£1.40)
- Basics for 85m squared flat: BBD$339.84 (£137)
- Rent for one bedroom flat in city centre: BBD$1,623.64 (£654.50).
The island is home to a handful of co-working spaces and cafes that you can work from.
When you’re not working, you could be swimming with turtles, going to the Shark Hole beach or watching the cricket at the Kensington Oval.
Cou cou and flying fish is the dish of Barbados. Okra slush is added to cornmeal, rolls of fish, vegetables and gravy. On restaurant menus you might find roasted breadfruit filled with butter and other toppings, yellow split pea rice and saltfish gravy, Bajan chicken soup, conkie (pumpkin, coconut and spices wrapped in a banana leaf), pickled chicken feet, sweet bread and guava cheese (a popular sweet).
On Speedtest it’s sitting at #44 out of 182 – better than the UK! So if you edit video or upload a lot of images, you might want to head to Barbados.
Apply to bring your pets with you. Dogs need rabies injection at least 35 days before you arrive.
The digital nomad visa
Name of visa: Welcome Stamp
Visa fee: Individual – $2,000 (£1,600)
Family Bundle – $3,000 (£2,400)
Length of stay: Up to 12 months
Can I extend my stay? Yes
- Passport sized photograph Principal Applicant and all other members of the Family Group over the age of 18 (if applicable).
- Bio data page of passport – Principal Applicant and all other members the Family Group (if applicable).
- Proof of relationship of Principal Applicant to all other members of the Family Group.
Minimum salary: At least USD$50,000 (£40,500) over the 12 months you intend to have the travel stamp.
How to apply: Online at https://www.visitbarbados.org/barbados-welcome-stamp