You’ll find Curaçao just off the Venezuelan coast. Its Dutch influence can be seen on Handelskade street with townhouses and a spread of cafés, bars, souvenir shops. But the island still retains its Caribbean culture through its festivals, art and cuisine.
For such a warm climate, there are many soups and stews to be discovered. Try yambo (okra soup), creole beef soup, beef stew and goat stew. It’s also worth having a go at lionfish, tutu (Caribbean polenta mixed with beans, coconut milk and sugar), pumpkin pancakes and cashew cake.
Activities-wise, go diving, swim with dolphins or relax on one of over 35 beaches. Alternatively, take a 1,000-foot mini submarine ride into the deep sea. For something a little more chilled out, head to the original Curaçao liqueur distillery in the capital, Willemstad.
Living costs are pretty cheap. One thing you should know is that the currency in Curaçao can go by different names: Dutch Guilders (ANG) and Florins (NAf). It’s all the same though. US dollars are widely accepted too if you’ve got any going spare.
- Three-course meal for two at mid-range restaurant: 140 NAf (£63)
- 1 litre regular milk: 2.92 NAf (£1.30)
- 500g loaf of fresh white bread: 3.82 NAf (£1.70)
- One-way ticket on public transport: 2.85 NAf (£1.30)
- Basics for 85m squared flat: 361.43 NAf (£163) per month
- Monthly rent for flat in city centre: 1,123.28 NAf (£506) per month
The island doesn’t rank on Speedtest so the internet is likely to be slower than the UK.
The digital nomad visa
Name of visa: @Home in Curaçao
Visa fee: $294 (£238)
Length of stay: Six months
Can I extend my stay? Yes, by another six months.
You must prove that you can work independent of location in telecommunications technologies. You must also fit one of the three categories:
- You work for an employer registered in a foreign country and you have a contract with that employer;
- You conduct business activity for a company that is registered in a foreign country and of which you are a partner/shareholder;
- You offer freelance or consulting services to clients, whose permanent establishments are in a foreign country, and with whom you have contracts.
It can be public or private sector.
Minimum salary: None stated
How to apply: Online at https://athomeincuracao.com/remote-workers/application-remote-workers/
Once received the application will take around two weeks to process. Please note that Dutch is the sole language in legal and administrative matters.