Welcome to the Caribbean’s version of the Emerald Isle. Montserrat is a small island (similarly shaped to Ireland) with a small population – the Soufrière Hills make it one for volcano enthusiasts.
History buffs might be more partial to a hike to the petroglyphs or a buried city tour of country’s capital, Plymouth (with a certified tour guide only). As for sport, Montserrat is known for cricket, football and basketball.
The average temperature year-round, like most of the Caribbean, is 27 degrees Celsius. It’s definitely a place for the more chilled-out. Business hours aren’t late, with most businesses – aside from restaurants, pubs and clubs – closed by 7pm.
There aren’t any co-working spaces either, but you can work from cafés. Montserrat isn’t listed on Speedtest, so it won’t have the best internet speeds.
It is a very cheap place to live though, as these figures from Numbeo show:
- Three-course meal for two at mid-range restaurant: 130EC$ (£39)
- 1 litre regular milk: 9EC$ (£2.70)
- 500g loaf of fresh white bread: 8EC$ (£2.40)
- One-way ticket on public transport: 5EC$ (£1.50) per month
- 3-bedroom flat in city centre: 3,500EC$ (£1,045) per month
Traditional dishes include goat water (goat stew), duckna (dumpling cooked with coconut and sweet potato, served with salted fish) and pumpkin soup.
The digital nomad visa
Name of visa: Montserrat Remote Work Stamp
Length of stay: One year
Visa fee: Application fees are required before application processing. These fees are non-refundable.
- Single Applicant
- USD$500 (£400)
- Families (up to 3 dependents): USD$750 (£600)
Additional family member: USD$250 (£250) each
Can I extend my stay? No, but you can reapply using the standard process
- Works for an employer that is registered in a foreign country and they have a contract of work with that employer; or
- Conducts business activity for a company that is registered in a foreign country and of which they are a partner/shareholder; or
- Offers freelance or consulting services mostly to clients, whose permanent establishments are in a foreign country, and with whom they have contracts; and
- Has health insurance with valid Montserrat and Covid-19 coverage.
Minimum salary: $70,000 (£56,858)
How to apply: Online at https://montserratremoteworker.com/
It takes seven days to process once the application is received.