If you’re looking for more of the quieter life, Estonia is a good place to settle for a while. It’s popular for outdoor pursuits, with a lot of parks and waterfalls. As a nation they’re pretty eco-conscious and it’ll be no surprise that the air quality is high. English is widely spoken and it’s an entrepreneurial nation, with more start-ups per capita than any other country. The country is very tech-focused and digitally driven, being the birthplace of Skype and Wise. Even the forest has 4G.
With a population of 1.3m people, Estonia is a very spacious country which is ideal for families.
Estonians aren’t a people for small talk and they’re punctual.
Name of visa: Two types: Type C Digital Nomad Visa and Type D Digital Nomad Visa
Length of stay: Type C: 90 days; Type D: One year
Can I extend my stay? No – new applications must be made while in Estonia
- Passport, valid for at least three months after the return date – must have two blank pages.
- Application form – can be submitted online here: Home page of the visa pre-application form (vm.ee)
- Two passport-sized photos, in line with the Schengen visa photo criteria.
- Work contract
- Letter from your employer, stating that you can work remotely
- Proof of sufficient financial means. (bank statements issued in the last six months)
- Proof of accommodation in Estonia – can be a rental agreement or temporary accommodation such as a hotel
- Proof of health insurance valid for the entire length of your stay, covering €30,000 (£26,425)
Minimum salary: Not stated
How to apply: At an Estonian embassy; at a Police and Border Guard office in Estonia; or at a VFS office